Friday, January 7, 2011

Semi stuffed open side eggplants (Shekampareh)

Although I love this food I don’t make it so much at home, because I am the only one at home who likes it. In this post the photo belongs to last time I was at my mom’s place so this is my mom's kitchen and the food which my dear mommy was cooking for us!


Ingredients

1. Eggplant 4-5 (long and thin ones are preferred)
2. Ground beef or turkey 8 oz
3. Tomato 1 large
4. Green bell pepper 1
5. Onion 1 small size
6. Tomato past 1 Tbsp
7. Turmeric 1 tsp
8. Oil to fry
9. Salt to taste
You may also use some hot pepper or cumin or any other spices that you like with eggplant.

Directions

Wash the eggplants, cut the stem but leave some part which is attached to top of eggplant (according to picture) using a sharp knife make a shallow cut along the length of each eggplant. Fry all sides of eggplants until they get soft a little bit, set aside.
Sauté onions in 2 Tbsp of oil, when they turned golden brown add ground meat stir frequently, add turmeric, salt and other spices if you are using any. When all the meat juice absorbed stir for a few minutes more and add half of tomato paste and stir for a few more minutes (add oil if needed).

Now slightly open the eggplants in the cut place and fill them with the meat mix as much as you can and arrange them in a shallow skillet pan with lid.

Cut the bell pepper and the tomato in slices and put all over the filled eggplants.

Mix the rest of tomato paste with 1 cup of water, 2 Tbsp of oil and some salt and pour to the pan slowly (never pour the watery mixture over eggplants)

Turn the heat on bring to boil and turn to low cover the pan and let the dish cook for about half an hour or until eggplants are cooked. at the end not so much water should remain in the pan (you may add more or less water depending on how you like)

Serve with rice or bread.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firoozeh Jan, this is called karniyarik in Turkey (split-belly) and I LOVE it, but I can't eat eggplant. :-(

The days said...

I know Amy jaan:0
I was all thinking about your allergy when I was posting this:)

شکمو said...

eeeeeeeem yam yam